Monday, August 29, 2011

Sunday - markets and more markets then the gym of weird

So today we went to the markets for a change! This time though, we were after clothes, at least I was because I seem to have neglected to bring enough shorts with me.

Short cycle to the shops, they are kind of near one of the embassy areas. Four floors of pretty much stalls, and they sell most of what anyone might need, t shirts, shorts, socks underwear, jackets, pants, shoes, bags everything.

Jane and Anita were bargaining for some t shirts, the lady wanted some huge price for them and when they decided to leave she followed them and started grabbing Jane and tried to bring them back. I ended up having to go back and pry her hand off Jane's arm, not very nice. Not sure why she thought behaving that way would persuade them to buy anything off her. Grabbing is not cool.

The vendors definitely start out high but it's kind of hard to work out what the right price should be. I found some shorts I quite liked and nearly choked when she said the price was Y280 (about $45). I started at Y25 and ended up getting them for Y90. I suspect I still got a bit ripped off but it seemed reasonable. I'm not very good at bargaining anyway.

Then we went to another multistory market thing, this time for tech products. There seem to be a bunch around, they had all kinds of laptops, screens, basic camera gear, projectors and as we went up there were more and more components like cases, video cards etc. Lots of fun.

After that, back to the apartment for a restful afternoon.

In the evening we decided to join the gym onsite at the apartments. It's called First Club. The price is similar to a gym in Aus (or so people tell me!) but this is not quite like any gym I've been to. After we sign up, the guy takes me through the change room. Shows me my first locker with some shoes (so I don't have to get my own shoes wet). Then we go to my second locker with towel, more shoes, coat hangers etc. All very nice. He shows me the shaving area complete with couches then downstairs to the showers, private giant spas (one with bubbles, one without) and games room, all in the men's locker room by the way! So if you want, you can sit and play video games while naked. Then I notice that I have to wear a swimming cap in the pool, so back to the front to ask if I can get one somewhere. "No problem sir, I'll bring you one." Well that was easy! I thought I was going to have to buy one.

It's at this point I think that I manage to lock my keys in my locker (they were in my shorts pocket). Grrrrr. So I am now half naked, trying to explain to the locker room attendant that my key is inside my locker while he looks at me blankly before saying something. I then look at him blankly. I did manage to get him to go and get the front desk guy who let me in. Note to self, don't do that again. 

I walk through the disinfectant pool thing and into the proper pool. It's only 25m, but there are about 5 or 6 lanes wide which means I can have two to myself if I need them. Not really like swimming at home where there's about 8 to a single lane. Mostly people were just playing in the pool, no one but me was actually swimming. Oh well, I will take this time to get fitter I think. After that it's back to the locker room, sit in the spa for a while, have a look around then back home for dinner. I don't know whether gyms in other places are like this but we're certainly getting more for our money here than at home. Plus it's about 5 minutes walk from the house. Tomorrow I might go for a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment